Blasts in a mosque in eastern Afghanistan during Friday prayers killed at least 62 men who had gathered for worship, local officials said.
The provincial governor's spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said the 62 people killed and 36 more injured in the blast were worshippers.
Tolo News quoted local officials, saying that the blasts took place inside a mosque in Nangarhar province during Friday prayer.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
This is change from the first six months of the year, when Afghan and USA forces killed more civilians.
He said 23 of the 50 wounded were transferred to Jalalabad, the provincial capital, and the rest of were being treated in the district clinic.
Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council in Nangarhar, while expecting a rise in the number of casualties, said that more than 100 others had been wounded.
NBCUniversal Refuses To Conduct Another Misconduct Investigation Regarding New Matt Lauer Allegations
Do they all have a connection with Matt Lauer? CBS News had an outside investigator. Lauer was ultimately dismissed from NBC as a result of those allegations.
'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare' swaps loot boxes for a battle pass
If you're one of those players, you can pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare right now on your platform of choice for $60. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare publisher Activision reiterated its position to not bring loot boxes to the upcoming game.
Police arrest hundreds for running website that sold child pornography for bitcoin
Moreover, two users of the Welcome to Video dark market site committed suicide following the execution of search warrants. The website allowed users to upload videos; 45% of the illicit images authorities had not previously seen.
Afghanistan has seen a new high in Taliban-claimed bombings and coordinated group assaults as well as aggressive air and ground operations by Afghan and USA forces amid the failure of peace talks.
According to the United Nations, 1,174 civilians were killed between July and September, the deadliest quarter since United Nations records began a decade ago.
Civilians have long borne the brunt of violence in Afghanistan's conflict, and the United Nations called the casualties "totally unacceptable".
The meeting was the first that Khalilzad has held with the Taliban since last month, when US President Donald Trump declared that the peace talks, which have largely been held in Qatar, were "dead".
Jelani Farhad added that five other civilians were wounded in the October 17 attack in the Zawal district.