It is likely that contaminated pig ear pet treats are responsible for an outbreak of salmonella that has infected 45 people in 13 states, sending 12 of them to the hospital. 17 out of 24 people said that they came into contact with pig ear dog treats or dogs that had been given the treats, the health agency reports.
The recalled treats were stocked in open bins - prepackaged branded pig ears are not included in the voluntary recall.
The outbreak has been linked to dog treats made with pig ears. However, none of these cases are confirmed to be a result of purchasing pig ears from Pet Supplies Plus.
So far, cases have been reported in South Carolina, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Dakota, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and California, the CDC said.
The CDC issued its warning on July 3, reporting that of the 38 individuals it interviewed, 34 reported having had contact with a dog before their symptoms started.
Thunder offered George, Westbrook to Raptors for Siakam
Westbrook doesn't seem happy with the Thunder anymore and there is a real possibility that they end up trading him as well. The Los Angeles Clippers apparently weren't the only potential destination for Kawhi Leonard and Paul George .
Crusaders claim 10th Super Rugby title - Nine Wide World of Sports
As the scales tipped a little in the Crusaders' favor Mo'unga goaled for a 16-3 lead after 59 minutes. They destroyed a Jaguares scrum, Todd was driven over the line but couldn't ground the ball.
Amazon's Bezos finalizes divorce with $38 bn settlement
MacKenzie Bezos earlier stated that she gave up all interests in the Washington Post and space exploration company Blue Origin. As a result, MacKenzie Bezos is set to gain millions of shares of Amazon worth an estimated $38 billion .
Salmonella infections can cause diarrhea, vomiting, fever and abdominal cramps.
If you, a family member or your pet are showing signs of salmonella poisoning, contact a doctor.
Testing by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development revealed that aging bulk pig ear product in one of our stores tested positive for Salmonella. "Retail locations where sampling occurred have removed pig ears from shelves". Infected animals can also shed Salmonella through their feces and saliva, spreading pathogens into the home environment and to humans and other animals in the household.
Pet Supplies Plus advised customers who purchased the recalled pig ear treats to discard them.
When possible, store pet food and treats away from where human food is stored or prepared and away from the reach of young children.