Last year, Trump broke with decades of precedent by forgoing the annual Iftar dinner - a bipartisan tradition that formally began with Bill Clinton in the 1990s but has conceptual roots tracing as far back as under Thomas Jefferson in 1805.
Several Muslim organisations have made a decision to boycott US President Donald Trump's first Iftar dinner at the White House, citing his alleged anti-Muslim rhetoric.
Ambassadors were invited from the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Morocco, Algeria and Libya.
This year's event has been criticized by some Muslims and others who oppose the president's policies such as the travel ban imposed on five predominantly Muslim countries, a national-security case which is being challenged in the Supreme Court, with a ruling expected soon.
Several American Muslim groups said they would not participate in Wednesday's iftar.Читайте также: China's ZTE signs preliminary agreement to lift USA ban
"To each of you and to the Muslims around the world: Ramadan Mubarak", Trump said.
During his presidential campaign, Trump called for a "complete and total shutdown" of Muslims entering the United States.
Reopening the White House to Muslim Americans for a traditional iftar dinner would be a good gesture to bring communities closer to respect each other's religion.
Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner was spotted at the dinner, as well as Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin, Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, and HHS Secretary Alex Azar. Shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, President George W. Bush hosted ambassadors and diplomats in celebration of Ramadan, declaring "evil has no holy days". Instead of hosting a dinner, the White House issued a statement on the Islamic holiday that focused heavily on the threat of terrorism, noting that recent attacks "steel our resolve to defeat the terrorists and their perverted ideology". It also affects two non-Muslim countries, blocking travelers from North Korea and some Venezuelan government officials and their families.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог