Omar al-Bashir obtained $90 million in money from Saudi royals, an investigator advised a court docket on the opening Monday of the deposed Sudanese strongman's corruption trial.
Police Brigadier Ahmed Ali told the court that the former president, who was ousted in April after months of mass protests across the country, had told him that the latest $25 million payment had been delivered by "some of Mohammad bin Salman's envoy", referring to the controversial Saudi crown prince.
Former Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir, who was forced from power in April, appears in a Khartoum court Monday on charges of receiving and possessing foreign funds illegally.
Al-Bashir arrived at the court in Khartoum's Arkaweet neighbourhood amid tight security, Xinhua news agency reported.
Bashir faces a raft of fees of battle crimes, crimes towards humanity and genocide from the Worldwide Legal Courtroom over his position within the Darfur battle however Monday's trial is over graft allegations.
When authorities raided the deposed leader's home back in April, almost seven million euros ($7.8 million) was found, in addition to smaller amounts in U.S. dollars and Sudanese pounds.
Former President Bashir was ousted by the military on April 11, 2019.
In May, the prosecutor general also said Bashir had been charged over killings during the anti-regime protests which eventually led to his ouster.Читайте также: Jill Biden: Joe Most Electable Candidate
The ICC has for years demanded that Bashir stand trial, and has renewed its call since his fall.
Protests against Bashir´s rule erupted on December 19 after his government tripled the price of bread.
Amnesty urged the country's new transitional institutions to ratify the ICC's Rome Statute, a move that would allow for his transfer to the global tribunal.
Meanwhile, Sudan's military leaders and the civilian-led opposition have named some members of the sovereign council that will lead the country in a power-sharing transitional government.
According to the agreement, the opposition coalition is allowed to choose five members of the council and the military another five, with the two sides jointly choosing a civilian as an eleventh member.
"I invite everyone to make this day a new stage of getting over the bitterness of the past and looking toward the future", Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, head of the military council, said at the end of the ceremony.
The council will oversee the formation of a transitional civilian administration including a cabinet and a legislative body.
One of Sudan's top generals, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is deputy head of the military council, and representative of the opposition Alliance for Freedom and Change umbrella group, Ahmad al-Rabie, formally signed the agreement on Saturday. Since 2011, Sudan is the scene of ongoing military conflict in its regions South Kordofan and Blue Nile.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог