The strike, which was declared on June 3 following the attack, has seen activists step up their campaign on social media, calling for mass mobilisation and civil disobedience by all vital institutions in Sudan, the Sudan Tribune reported.
The breakthrough in the standoff between the military rulers who toppled veteran leader Omar al-Bashir and protesters demanding civilian rule followed mediation led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
The civil disobedience campaign was launched after a crackdown on demonstrators by the military. Global diplomatic efforts to resolve the standoff were expected to get a boost from a visit by a top United States official who was due to meet with the two sides.
Even more disturbing have been harrowing accounts emerging of men and women being raped by the paramilitary group, known as the Rapid Support Forces or RSF.
A spokesperson for the military council did not immediately answer calls or return messages seeking comment. The African Union suspended Sudan's membership and also called for an end to the violence.
He warned that if their joint peacekeeping force, known as UNAMID, is dismantled and the peacekeepers pull out of Darfur, this "would recklessly and needlessly place tens of thousands of lives at risk by removing their only safeguard against the government's scorched earth campaign".
However, he said the TMC was adamant that the head of the new council should be from the military.Читайте также: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel in development
The alliance said in a statement it would suspend the strike from Wednesday until further notice, though it encouraged people to remain mobilized for possible further action.
The council also called for an immediate halt to attacks against civilians and stressed the importance of upholding human rights - a week after Russian Federation and China blocked a similar draft statement on the crisis.
Earlier on Monday, the People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N), one of the country's main rebel groups, said the military rulers had released three of its leaders after several days in detention and expelled them to South Sudan. The strike was successful in the first day, according to protest leaders, but on Tuesday many shops and businesses reopened and there was visibly more traffic in the streets of Khartoum and its sister city of Omdurman.
There are some reports suggesting that Mr Abiy suggested a 15-member ruling council for the transitional period, made up eight civilians and seven military officials.
Meanwhile, a doctors committee linked to the protests accused the Janjaweed militia of shooting dead nine people on Monday in the Darfur region of western Sudan.
The UN Humanitarian Air Service also operated as normal on Monday, said the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог