"As a result of this offending delay, the President has instructed the appropriate office to look for a private shipping company which will bring back Canada's trash to the latter's jurisdiction".
Environmentalists stage a mock die-in protest outside the Canadian Embassy to demand the Canadian government to speed up the removal of several containers of garbage that were shipped to the country Tuesday, May 21, 2019, in Manila, Philippines.
Canada has offered to take the garbage back and the two countries have been in discussions to arrange the transfer after a 2016 court ruling that found the garbage can be returned.
Last week, Manila recalled its Ambassador from Ottawa because Canada missed a May 15 deadline to repatriate the garbage.
"Canada values its deep and long-standing relationship with the Philippines and has been working closely with Filipino authorities to find a solution that is mutually acceptable".
On Wednesday, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo disclosed that Duterte was so upset that he wants the Philippine government to pay for the cost of sending back the garbage to Canada.
"I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that thing out or I will set sail to Canada and dump the trash there", Duterte said in April, according to Philippine News Agency.
Canada has said it plans to bring back containers filled with trash that have been sitting for years in a port in the Philippines, after President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to sail them back himself.Читайте также: 5G network launches in the UK
Ms. McKenna said the government will dispose of the garbage before the end of the summer.
Canada had insisted then that the dumping was not supported by its government and that it was a private transaction. Canada is trying to go after the company that shipped the waste but it has since gone out of business.
"Obviously, Canada is not taking this issue nor our country seriously".
"The Filipino people are gravely insulted about Canada treating this country as a dumpsite, " he told newsmen. The company will begin preparation for shipping the containers in the coming days and the garbage will be removed from the Philippines by the end of June.
Canada has agreed to take back the dozens of shipping containers, but has not given a timeline.
Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland spoke by phone with her Philippine counterpart, foreign secretary Teodoro Locsin, Friday, about the matter.
Last year, Duterte ordered the cancellation of a multimillion-dollar agreement to buy 16 helicopters from Canada after its government made a decision to review the deal due to concerns the Philippine military might use the aircraft in counterinsurgency assaults.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог