Santa Anita has canceled racing indefinitely in the wake of a 21st horse fatality that occurred on the track since the winter/spring meeting opened December 26. Five have occurred on the turf course and nine came during training on dirt.
The Santa Anita Park in Los Angeles has hired former track superintendent Dennis Moore to help lead a study of its dirt surface. "The California Horse Racing Board and Santa Anita must do this now, and law enforcement must begin an immediate investigation of trainers and veterinarians to find out if injured horses were being forced to run".
Because of the expected wet weather, it's thought that the main track will be closed for training Wednesday, but no announcement has been made.
The unprecedented move has shut down two major races scheduled for the weekend, including the San Felipe for 3-year-old Kentucky Derby hopefuls and the Santa Anita Handicap for older horses. "We need to definitely take a step back and evaluate everything". The 86-year-old trainer is one of the most respected in horse racing and has won three Eclipse Awards as the nation's outstanding trainer.
Santa Anita was closed for two days last week after Breeders' Cup victor Battle of Midway suffered a fatal injury during a workout.
Ritvo was uncertain whether the San Felipe and Santa Anita Handicap would be rescheduled.Читайте также: HBO drops 'Game of Thrones' final season trailer
Lets Light the Way, a 4-year-old filly, was euthanized after shattering the sesamoid, a bone that provides anchor points for the two branches of the suspensory ligament, in her front right leg during training on Tuesday.
"The safety, health and welfare of the horses and jockeys is our top priority", said Tim Ritvo, chief executive of owners the Stronach Group.
Mick Peterson, an expert from the University of Kentucky who was also enlisted to inspect the track, was not able to discern any irregularities, but he said that he told Santa Anita officials to "keep testing until we know what's going on".
Cassidy said training on the main track and training track also stopped.
"I think the weather has a lot to do with it", said McAnally, whose wife, Debbie, owned the filly. With roots dating from the 1870s, the original Santa Anita Park opened in 1907 but closed after a few years, then the facility still in use was established in 1934 by a group of investors, including movie mogul Hal Roach. I'm glad we're doing this. The board intends to discuss the fatalities at Santa Anita during its next meeting on March 21. In a statement released to Bloodhorse, the CHRB said it has been in contact with Santa Anita over the situation and is "now examining other options to prevent additional fatalities".При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог