A Wisconsin man had to have all of his limbs amputated when he contracted a rare blood infection from his pet dog's saliva, according to a report. "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", said his wife, Dawn Manteufel.
Greg Manteufel has been around dogs his entire life, his wife says. "This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin told Fox 6 Now. However, there have only been about 500 cases logged in the US and Canada since 1976 of the bacteria causing sepsis when no dog bite was found.
The family has since set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the operations and rehabilitation that Manteufel will need, and it's already raised over $10,000. "Sometimes it decreases so much that the arms and legs just die", she added. The majority of dogs are known to carry the Capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria in their mouths, and a quick lick is all it would take for that bacteria to be transmitted.
Dawn Manteufel said that within one week, her husband's legs were gone, followed by more surgeries to remove portions of his hands, and then half of both forearms.
North Korea only provided one dog tag with possible United States remains
What are believed to be the remains of some 55 U.S. servicemen killed in the Korean War have arrived in South Korea aboard a U.S. The last time North Korea turned over American remains was in 2007.
Cubs reportedly have traded for Nationals reliever
The Nationals built up the back end of their bullpen in a postseason push, but were beaten by the Cubs in the NL Division Series. He has a 3.59 ERA in 42 2/3 innings (45 appearances) this season.
Jennifer Lopez Is This Year’s VMA Vanguard Award Winner
The very first Vanguard awards were given to David Bowie , The Beatles , and Richard Lester in 1984 at the very first MTV VMAs. The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award is like the MTV Video Music Awards' version of a lifetime achievement award.
Doctors ran blood tests and discovered he'd become infected with a bacterial pathogen known as capnocytophaga canimorsus, which is found in the saliva of healthy dogs and cats but can lead to infection in humans who are immunocompromised.
"He just kept saying, 'Take what you need, but keep me alive, ' and they did".
According to the Centers for Disease Control, it's rare but possible for capnocytophaga to cause severe infections in people with weakened immune systems, and is spread through bites or close contact with infected dogs or cats. Heavy drinkers, people who have had their spleens removed, and individuals with HIV or cancer are most at risk for contracting the infection. "Surprisingly enough, they did do it".
"More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue", she said.