The Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen's Houthi rebels on Friday pledged to ensure the safety of humanitarian workers in the country after the International Committee of the Red Cross said it had withdrawn dozens of staff members over security fears.
The UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen, Lise Grande, warned that any military attack or siege on Hodeidah province will affect hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.
"During the long study and calculation, we found that as many as 250 000 people lost everything they had - even my life".
A coalition spokesman said on Tuesday that allied forces were 20 km (12 miles) from Houthi-held Hodeidah, but he did not specify whether there were plans for an assault to seize the port, the chief entry point for food and supplies needed to ease a starvation and cholera epidemic.
Griffiths, who was wrapping up a three-day visit to Yemen, added that talks had been positive while underlining that a military action on Hudaydah would have a negative impact on its civilian population.Читайте также: Grandma filmed letting children out of kennels
According to the statement, the United Nations and its partners estimate that as many as 600,000 civilians are now living in Hodeidah and neighboring areas.
Col Al Malki said the coalition was working with global NGO partners to create conditions for them to work safely and freely in Yemen and was fully prepared to assist the ICRC to ensure the continuation of its operations in the country.
The United Nations said there were no plans to evacuate staff.
The undated photo shows people at the site of a Saudi airstrike on a residential neighborhood in the Yemeni port city of Hudaydah.
The conflict between Iran-backed Huthi rebels and Yemen's government, allied with Saudi Arabi, has claimed 10,000 lives and pushed the country to the brink of starvation.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог