New data from insurer Blue Cross Blue Shield says major depression among Americans is on the rise. The steady climb in the rate of depression needs to be tackled in ways that deal with the root cause, rather than exclusively the symptoms. Millennial diagnoses went up to 47 percent, while teenagers' diagnoses increased to 63 percent.
"The high rates for adolescents and millennials could have a substantial health impact for decades to come", said Trent Haywood, senior vice president and chief medical officer for Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, in a statement.
The report also discovered a wide variety related to geographic differences in the diagnosis of major depression. The Midwest and Northeast, for example, have been hit pretty hard with ME and Minnesota experiencing rises of around 6 percent, while Hawaii sees the lowest rise nationally, of just 2 percent.
The highest, however, was Rhode Island at six percent.
While Minnesota ranked near the top with a depression diagnosis rate of 5.8 percent, Hawaii showed the lowest rate at 2.1 percent. Also reports in 2016 say that about 15% of the diagnosed 9 million Americans got affected by depression alone and the remaining 85% were taking other medical treatments.
Let's talk about Mahira Khan's 7 looks at Cannes 2018
Her sartorial choices have had us thrilled, as the stunning actress wore an array of exquisite outfits at the French Rivera. Arnold Schwarzenegger at the 1977 Cannes Film Festival, where he presented the documentary "Pumping Iron".
Australian breaks world record with Everest summit
In 1996 his legs were amputated just below the knee after he was diagnosed with lymphoma. The 2016 attempt brought him close to the summit before a blizzard set in.
Zaha, Van Aanholt give Palace win over West Brom
When asked if a potential new contract was on the table, Hodgson responded: 'I don't talk about contracts or salaries. West Bromwich Albion caretaker coach Darren Moore: "It's been a freakish season really, absolutely freaky ".
A 2017 study published in the journal Child Development found nighttime usage of a cellphone can increase anxiety and depression in teenagers and reduce self-esteem.
Psychologist, Lisa Damour, CBS News contributor, said, "We have experienced in co-relation studies, and it demonstrated that a teen using the phone late in their night leads to disrupted sleep which causes the rise in depression and emotional stress".
Another factor contributing to an increase in depression: other chronic health conditions. Among the 9 million United States individuals in 2016 detected with major depression, only 15% were detected with the condition of depression alone.
Eighty-five percent of people were diagnosed with major depression and at least one other health condition, according to the report. "Further education and research is needed to identify methods for both physicians and patients to effectively treat major depression and begin a path to recovery and better overall health".